Skip to main content

Tweets for Teachers - Course Section Hashtags

On Tuesday, July 21, the @One organization graciously allowed me to present a webinar titled "All aTwitter about Tweets for Teaching". This series highlights their questions, and my humble attempt at answering their concerns.

Q. What about separate tweets for each course? Is there any way to do that on one account?

A. Absolutely! You can do this easily with custom hashtags. You don't have to create a second (or fifteenth) account, or create a shortened URL to a blog or web page, or know any html at all for this. To create an instant hashtag, all you have to do is put the pound sign - # - in front of a word in your tweet (such as #hashtag), and when you post your word will appear in your tweet as a hyperlink. When the reader clicks the hashtag hyperlink, the word is entered into Twitter's search engine and the results appear. Simple!

The trick is to create a unique hashtag for each course. For instance, if you teach Art History 1A and there are three sections, you might use #Art1A1, #Art1A2, and #Art1A3 for your designated hashtags for the classes. Students don't have to know there are three sections with hashtags - they will be searching for their own section, and the other sections will not show up in the search results.

To further filter your tweets, give your students a search widget with your hashtag or keyword already loaded up! There's a great widget from Tweetgrid which will filter your hashtag for you, so you can easily post the search results on a course web page. Your students don't even have to remember the tag! For an example of the widget set to filter on the keyword "matriculation", view this example.

Great quote from Dan at Butte: "For classroom use, you can let students know how to get to your Twitter page, but not all students will want to check in. But the beauty of the system is that those who want to know where the grading process is can find out, and those who aren't don't get bombarded with email updates. Choice is good."

Thoughts? Additional ideas? Please comment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to welcome students to a class

If you're a Cal Poly professor, I have a gift for you. In the dashboard, you'll find the online workshop called "Launching a Course Online with Canvas" that has a template for welcoming students to an online course. The letter was written for "normal" times, and should be sent out approximately a week prior to the start of class, with a reminder sent out again the day before class starts. For the most part, it works well in our unusual circumstances. I want to share with you what I'm telling my students, and I'll include it below. This is a work in progress, but it will go out to them a full week prior to the start of class (by Tuesday, March 31.) I want them to have the gift of TIME: to look around the online class (I will open it up on Sunday, April 4th) to ask me questions via email if they have any to put important items on their calendar, like purchasing the code for our simulation software to absorb what they will be completing in the...

Teaching in the age of Covid-19

I'm overwhelmed. I've been teaching online for 20 years, but the past three weeks of my life have been incredibly complex. Working from home is not a big deal for me - at my last job, I often worked from home and established work "zones" and a daily routine that helped me focus on what needed to be done, but this is different. This time, I've spent the past three weeks setting up and delivering workshops for faculty, answering numerous questions, calming a lot of jittery friends who are not sure how this is going to work, and - I kid you not - I was berated for posting a helpful comment on behalf of my own lengthy experience to a group of faculty. In times like these, you find out who people truly are. But here I am, staring at my computer screen with content that is mine, that I am familiar with, and there is nobody but myself urging me on. I am tired. I feel demoralized from events that took place in the days prior to sheltering at home. And I need a break...

Putting the toothpaste back into the tube

We've been asked to teach a 10 week course in 9 weeks. For me, this should be a piece of cake - each summer, I condense a 9 week short course from Cuesta College into a 6 week short course for summer session. I have done this for nearly 10 summers, so one would think a week's worth of snipping would be simple. I spent a frustrating day alternating between my course content and various shiny distractions. It could well be that I need a break - certainly I'm feeling that lack of  focus that comes from stress - but it's also that I'm making incremental changes from one week to the next. This is not hard work like chopping firewood, but hard work like lining up dominoes and finding a gap halfway through that needs to be addressed by nudging every piece by exactly 1/4". It is tedious. Creating an online course is usually completed over three terms; one to create the online shell while teaching the course in person, one to launch the course online, and one to fix...