Skip to main content

Typical Day for an Online Teacher

It is Saturday. I woke up early, made a big pot of coffee, and updated the second module of my online class. It is the third time I've revised this module in 3 months, and it is the fourth year I’ve taught this course. Nothing stays put in this field. Two of the key sources I cited are now defunct; one a victim of a massive hack, and whose host now resolves to a porn site. I am incredibly grateful for my QA approach.

Once class starts, I prefer to focus on the students and discussions, which means all material has to be complete prior to the launch of the course. Right now I'm simply reacting to recent changes in a small percentage of my course content while answering student questions and trying to gage the level of tech expertise in this particular group.

I had made two notes to myself in the module in a bold, red font: "this part needs to be updated for newer technology." This is a Multimedia for Web course, and standards change constantly. I did the research, and with the new updates I will need to re-write my quiz for this section. Did I mention the module opens on Monday?

I cannot imagine what it would be like to put off course design until the month prior to the start of class. This is as close to the edge as I will live…

I have 8 AWOL students at the start of the second week. Two contacted me today saying they've had technical difficulties. I directed them to re-read the email I sent at the beginning of the week that spells out the directions, and sure enough they were both in class by noon, feeling sheepish. At this point, the stragglers are on my drop list, and the present students have my full attention and energy. My Droid phone is tied to my Blackboard account via my campus mail: when a student emails me, my phone sends me an alert so I can respond immediately and from my phone if I am not at my computer. My students are convinced I live online.


It is now 8:20 on Saturday night, and I have worked almost all day. Of course, I also worked on my F2F class, housecleaning and laundry, and did a bit of shopping. My students are fitting my course content into their busy lives as well. It is a tremendous amount of work, but worth it for the young mothers, the job-seekers, the housebound, the fully employed, and anyone else who finds it difficult to conform life around a seat in a classroom on a campus for an hour or four every week.

Definitely worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to welcome students to a class

If you're a Cal Poly professor, I have a gift for you. In the dashboard, you'll find the online workshop called "Launching a Course Online with Canvas" that has a template for welcoming students to an online course. The letter was written for "normal" times, and should be sent out approximately a week prior to the start of class, with a reminder sent out again the day before class starts. For the most part, it works well in our unusual circumstances. I want to share with you what I'm telling my students, and I'll include it below. This is a work in progress, but it will go out to them a full week prior to the start of class (by Tuesday, March 31.) I want them to have the gift of TIME: to look around the online class (I will open it up on Sunday, April 4th) to ask me questions via email if they have any to put important items on their calendar, like purchasing the code for our simulation software to absorb what they will be completing in the...

Teaching in the age of Covid-19

I'm overwhelmed. I've been teaching online for 20 years, but the past three weeks of my life have been incredibly complex. Working from home is not a big deal for me - at my last job, I often worked from home and established work "zones" and a daily routine that helped me focus on what needed to be done, but this is different. This time, I've spent the past three weeks setting up and delivering workshops for faculty, answering numerous questions, calming a lot of jittery friends who are not sure how this is going to work, and - I kid you not - I was berated for posting a helpful comment on behalf of my own lengthy experience to a group of faculty. In times like these, you find out who people truly are. But here I am, staring at my computer screen with content that is mine, that I am familiar with, and there is nobody but myself urging me on. I am tired. I feel demoralized from events that took place in the days prior to sheltering at home. And I need a break...

Putting the toothpaste back into the tube

We've been asked to teach a 10 week course in 9 weeks. For me, this should be a piece of cake - each summer, I condense a 9 week short course from Cuesta College into a 6 week short course for summer session. I have done this for nearly 10 summers, so one would think a week's worth of snipping would be simple. I spent a frustrating day alternating between my course content and various shiny distractions. It could well be that I need a break - certainly I'm feeling that lack of  focus that comes from stress - but it's also that I'm making incremental changes from one week to the next. This is not hard work like chopping firewood, but hard work like lining up dominoes and finding a gap halfway through that needs to be addressed by nudging every piece by exactly 1/4". It is tedious. Creating an online course is usually completed over three terms; one to create the online shell while teaching the course in person, one to launch the course online, and one to fix...