Skip to main content

Breaking the Ice



Maslow's hierarchy of needs tells us one of the foundational levels of human need, along with physiological comfort and physical safety, is to "affiliate with others and feel accepted". In fact, of the first four basic needs, the online environment can really only address two; the others being "to achieve, be competent; gain approval and recognition."


The old criticism that online courses can feel sterile is horrifically true if there is a lack of interaction. Without "seeing" the presence of others, students feel isolated, frustrated and lonely, according to research. The fact that online courses are popular for their asynchronous, "anytime/anywhere" convenience means some students will log in consistently after work at 1am PST when it is most convenient to their schedule, and find that literally there is no other student in the "room".

Establishing a warm and interactive environment during the first week of class helps ease students' anxiety about the lonely nature of online courses. Take a moment and consider how you'll break the ice during the first week of your own online course. What should that activity look like? What will help your students get to know you, or one another?

Icebreaker ideas
The easiest and most basic form of a first-week icebreaker is a simplified version of the posting assignment I am giving you in this class using a discussion board: "Tell us a bit about yourself, and why you are taking this class. What do you hope to learn in here?" The second part of the question is helpful to determine student expectations. You may be surprised at the answers, and please do not take it personally if they say "I have to take the class in order to graduate." :-)

You may want to get a bit more creative, however. I have kept a tickler list of icebreaker ideas over the years, but recently I saw most of my collection plus a few new ideas in
this great post by Joitske Hulsebosch. If your class is large, you may want to add instructions that students should seek out others who have not had as many responses, in order to prevent anyone from feeling neglected.

The importance of being there
No matter how you prod your students to come out of their shells and meet one another, it is essential that
you are actively involved in welcoming them. Consider the first week of class to be an intense time of party hosting, and your guests are unusually shy and reticent to enter your event. Greet them by name, and engage with them. You are setting the tone for the remainder of the class, and you are reassuring your students that there is a human being on the other side of the screen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to welcome students to a class

If you're a Cal Poly professor, I have a gift for you. In the dashboard, you'll find the online workshop called "Launching a Course Online with Canvas" that has a template for welcoming students to an online course. The letter was written for "normal" times, and should be sent out approximately a week prior to the start of class, with a reminder sent out again the day before class starts. For the most part, it works well in our unusual circumstances. I want to share with you what I'm telling my students, and I'll include it below. This is a work in progress, but it will go out to them a full week prior to the start of class (by Tuesday, March 31.) I want them to have the gift of TIME: to look around the online class (I will open it up on Sunday, April 4th) to ask me questions via email if they have any to put important items on their calendar, like purchasing the code for our simulation software to absorb what they will be completing in the...

Teaching in the age of Covid-19

I'm overwhelmed. I've been teaching online for 20 years, but the past three weeks of my life have been incredibly complex. Working from home is not a big deal for me - at my last job, I often worked from home and established work "zones" and a daily routine that helped me focus on what needed to be done, but this is different. This time, I've spent the past three weeks setting up and delivering workshops for faculty, answering numerous questions, calming a lot of jittery friends who are not sure how this is going to work, and - I kid you not - I was berated for posting a helpful comment on behalf of my own lengthy experience to a group of faculty. In times like these, you find out who people truly are. But here I am, staring at my computer screen with content that is mine, that I am familiar with, and there is nobody but myself urging me on. I am tired. I feel demoralized from events that took place in the days prior to sheltering at home. And I need a break...

Putting the toothpaste back into the tube

We've been asked to teach a 10 week course in 9 weeks. For me, this should be a piece of cake - each summer, I condense a 9 week short course from Cuesta College into a 6 week short course for summer session. I have done this for nearly 10 summers, so one would think a week's worth of snipping would be simple. I spent a frustrating day alternating between my course content and various shiny distractions. It could well be that I need a break - certainly I'm feeling that lack of  focus that comes from stress - but it's also that I'm making incremental changes from one week to the next. This is not hard work like chopping firewood, but hard work like lining up dominoes and finding a gap halfway through that needs to be addressed by nudging every piece by exactly 1/4". It is tedious. Creating an online course is usually completed over three terms; one to create the online shell while teaching the course in person, one to launch the course online, and one to fix...